Search This Blog

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

'To you perceptive reader, I bequeath my history...'

Late one night, exploring her father's library, a young woman finds an ancient book and a cache of yellowing letters addressed ominously to 'My dear and unfortunate successor'. Her discovery plunges her into a world she never dreamed of - a labyrinth where the secrets of her father's past and her mother's mysterious fate connect to an evil hidden in the depths of history. - summary from book.

I bought this book 2 years ago at Best Eastern for $16.80 and finished it for like almost 8 months. It's not really 8 months but I know it is very long time that I finally finished the book. It's thick, 704 pages and the writings are small.

So, it's about vampire...well, dracula they call it in the book. Yes, I know... all about vampires/draculas nowadays but trust me, I bought this book BEFORE the 'Twilight' series came into my life and before the phenomena starts.

This is about a girl, finding some kind of old books and letters in her father's library. The letters actually come from her father's old professor from university and tell his stories about his research and the girl told her father what she found. Her father started telling her story about the missing professor, some weird things, meeting her mother and when the romance sparks and she too went missing or as they believe, dead. And when the girl and her father went for a journey, she was left behind with her father's letter and her father went missing, to find his missing wife because he knew she's still alive.

I actually lost track on the story before because I don't know whose story is which. So it got me confused there. Though the story started with the girl finding the letters, and then the professor's, then her father's and back and forth. So, we need to understand the story. And my imagination did not follow as I don't recognize the places the author describes so if you want to buy the book, find the one with a map in it. Seriously, my book doesn't have one and I should have known. I would say the genre of this book is like History and horror.



I would've give it a 5 if the writing is big and there's a map on my book :P


Buy the book from:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...