Search This Blog

They Cage The Animals At Night by Jennings Michael Burch

" A valuable and beautiful book which addresses issues of concern to everyone-what really does happen to foster children and what allows some children to survive the same emotional trauma that shatters forever the lives of others"

-Eleanor Craig, author of P.S. Your Not Listening



To be honest, I really like to read books with stories that can be a real tearjerker when you read them. Especially those of true stories. Some books which I had bought which can be classified under this kind of books are 'Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah' as well as her 'Chinese Cinderella' book and 'Tuesdays With Morrie' by Mitch Albom. Reading these books can really make me cry even after reading them so many times.

So back to this book I'm reviewing, it basically tells the true story of the author's experience of being a foster child and being forced to live in different orphanages. Set in the 50s, as Jennings's mom who could no longer take care of all her children, was forced to put some of them including Jennings into different orphanages. While living in orphanage, Jennings encountered some heartless nuns and bullies but somehow managed to find good friends along the way. I first saw this book on Amazon when I was researching on what books I should buy next. The book received many positive reviews and earned 4.8/5 stars on Amazon. As I read the readers's reviews, many commented that the story was heart breaking, it made them cry. So I thought this is my kind of book and so I bought it.

While the book was easy to read and understand and there is a great lesson everyone can learn from the book but somehow I don't find this book to be that great. One thing that bothers me about this book is to what extent is the story a real story because I find some parts to be more like a novel writing rather than an autobiographical writing. But who am I to judge people's experience so putting that aside, I think what is more important is the lesson that people can get from reading about Jennings's experience.





Buy book from:
  • The Book Depository
  • Amazon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...