Search This Blog

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


"A lot of you cared, just not enough."
Clay Jensen returns home to find a strange package with his name on it. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and first love - who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

Hannah's voice explains there are thirteen reasons why she killed herself. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.

All through the night, Clay keeps listening and what he discovers changes his life...Forever.

A little warning to the young readers (specifically the teens), I don't actually recommend you guys to read it. I'm not actually stopping you guys from reading it but the material of the story is about teen suicide. If you decided to read it, open up your mind and remember that this is just a FICTION. 

I've been putting this book on my list too long ever since my sister bought this book even after I read the summary, I already thought that this must be a good read. When I started reading it, I just couldn't stop. 

What would you do if someone left a box of cassettes on your front door? If it were me, I would bring out my old Sony Walkman and listen to the tapes (although I'm afraid I might end up listening to some paranormal stuffs). Clay did just that (except he uses their old big stereo) and listened to the first cassettes and was shocked to hear Hannah's voice, a classmate and his first love, who died by killing herself and in those cassettes she explains that those who received the tapes means that their names are mentioned in one of those cassettes and they are the 13 Reasons Why she killed herself.

Clay then wondered, which one of those cassettes and which side of the cassettes has his name mentioned? What have Clay done to Hannah to get his name into one of those cassettes? He listened to all the cassettes and even went to the places Hannah mentioned in those tapes (for example Hangouts and favourite shops). 

He ended up learning what Hannah have been through all her school year, the people she met and what they have done to her. Hannah, if I understood from what I've read, is not actually a victim of a bully. She's more on being a victim of being left by the people she beginning to trust and care.

There's 2 POVs, Clay and Hannah, Hannah's POV are mostly on the cassettes so she's more or less like a POV guest in the book. I was so attached to this book for 2 days (if I'm not mistaken) because it really drives me off my seat because I really wanted to know what Clay have done to Hannah. The POV of Clay already shows how and who he is and it just makes me want to just continuously flip the pages to look for Clay's story. 

For Hannah character, she's just this normal girl who just have fun with being herself but people around her just keeps dragging her down and then she would just forget it but eventually, she had enough.

The story is a lesson to all of us as well. Every smile, there's a story behind it. A person that always smile and cheerful doesn't mean that s/he is always happy. Inside they might be hurt. When people care less about one another, they are thinking that its better if they don't exist. 

I enjoyed reading this book and I recommend you guys to read it. Although I've seen some reviews giving it a one star or maybe a no star at all. 

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...